Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Confessions of a Complete Nerd: Introduction Edition

For awhile now, my blog has basically been a journal of my travels kept mostly for me, my family, my friends, my friends' family, and so on. That is completely fine. But for awhile, and the reason I started this blog, was so that I could get some opinions and thoughts out on the internet, in the open, for people to start discussion with me, or for me to discuss with myself. And for awhile I've been wanting to return to that. But as handling just travel updates is a little difficult for me (and as I haven't even written or drawn in my travel journal since Berlin, many weeks ago), I think it's safe to say that without regular schedules and a clear point of view, my updating is iffy at best.

And, on that note, I've also been thinking about where I want to go from here. What I want to happen to this blog after I'm done in Switzerland. What I want to focus on in the future.

So I've decided to introduce a new segment to this blog, called "Confessions of a Complete Nerd". Now, if you know me, you know I am, in fact, a huge nerd/geek (I've never really been sure of the difference.). Actually, if you've read through some of the older posts on this blog, you'll probably get that (I'm looking at you, Disney posts....). And, anyone who is friends with me will also acknowledge that in real life and in person, my geeky/nerdiness comes through clear and strong. But I've also tried to keep this part of myself hidden from my wider circle of peers and colleagues--basically, the people I mostly associate with through Facebook. I don't see these people much, we're not great friends. And, most likely, they already know about my nerdy inclinations, or at least some of them.

However, that doesn't matter. Whether they already knew (which they probably did) or whether they don't care, what does matter is how I approached this part of myself: the geeky, nerdy, quirky person that I am, that for many years (most of them in high school--can you blame me?) I kept mostly away from anyone other than a close group who I knew wouldn't judge me, because they were like me. I approached this person cautiously, with a slight fear of letting the full extent go because I felt I would be more of an outcast than I already was. But over the last few years I have grown to know and accept this person more. Don't get me wrong--I had, or at least believed I had, always accepted that I was different and weird. However, it wasn't until a few years ago that I accepted that weird and different was okay, was normal, and that there were people who would appreciate just how very weird I was, and would think my random assortment of facts and knowledge of Disney and musical theatre, my willingness and love of Google search, my love of Youtube and my status as a creator on deviantArt was not just different and nerdy and quirky--it was even cool.

It may seem that I've come late to the party, or that I'm even a little backwards, making the internet the last place I let my nerd flag fly; the internet has been a safe haven for many of us nerds over the years, and it has been for me, as well. But I have always been a wary person, and have never been one to join random forums (I'm still not sure how they work or how anyone follows anything that goes on in them), make friends on tumblr (which I do not have because I know my life would be consumed), or let many personal details of my life fly free on the internet under an anonymous name--unless it was on deviantArt under the guise of art (why have I more feared anonymity than actual human contact with real names? I have absolutely no idea).  So the Internet, where so many people I know but don't know is my last stop.

And after this very long explanation, I will try to explain what I want this little corner of the internet to be about. It's basically me in my nerd life. There you have it. So think comics, books, superheroes, occasional deep stuff, Harry Potter, Disney, etc. Maybe some stuff about growing up nerdy. Hopefully it will all work out.

No comments: